Title: Ember of Night
Author: Molly E. Lee
Publication Date: May 2021
GOODREADS SUMMARY
I’ve never been a stranger to the darkness. But when darkness comes knocking and looks that good, who wouldn’t invite him in?
Draven is mysterious, evasive, and hot as sin. The only thing more infuriating than how much he won’t say is how obnoxious he is every time he does open his mouth. But when a group of strangers attacks me and he fights back, causing them to vanish into a cloud of black dust, I know Draven is more than he seems.
He finally shows me there’s a veil separating the world I know from a world of demons living all around us. Turns out, good and evil are just words. Some of the demons don’t fall into either category. And I’m realizing just how easily I fit in among the ancient warlocks, the divine soldiers, and the twisted supernaturals...
There’s so much more to me. To my past. And to what I am truly capable of than I ever thought possible. So when all signs point to me having the ability to unleash Hell on earth? I’ll have to decide if I want to do the world a solid and save it, or give it one hell of a makeover.
MY THOUGHTS
The book started out really good. With all the blurb it has in social media I wasn't able to control myself and grab my own copy. The main character has a unique background story, the plot and idea of her being the key and everything in opening the gates of hell was all new for me. I was really having a great time on the first half chapters of the book, but then am already halfway and just felt that it was starting to be redundant. And the constant push and pull between Harley and Draven just sort of annoying and unnecessary in my opinion.
As I said the most frustrating thing about this book is being redundant on how Draven was "very powerful" but for me he felt like the weakest among the powerful if you get what I mean. He just lack all the "powerful and strong" love interest vibe for me. Not once but everytime the action was starting he was already "drained" or "exhausted" from using his powers. Seriously? Can he not do combats or manual fighting first before using his all divine powers so he won't drain himself up before all the action even gets more intense? The interesting part of the fight was just starting and he was already drained most of the time. And as for the heroine, I find it hard to connect with her even from the start. I get it, coming from an abusive household could really do that to you, but her personality felt flat. I was really hoping I could get to like her as the story continues but it was totally a fail for me. Majority of the book was about her dramatic monologue. No obvious development on her character, just a lot of angst against people. Even to those who cared alot for her. *Sigh*
Another thing that hit home of me disliking this book is the ending. Well, what was that? Really? I am not a fan of cliffhanger endings but it never kill my desire to read the next installment. But this book just did. The ending and revelation was just not for me. It was totally cliche and does not apeal on me.
Overall, In my opinion, the book is a handful to read. The prologue was really good. I was really entertained until the half of the book. But the pacing and the thrill was not delivered until the very end.



0 comments