The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Ranking:
Title: The Summoning
Series: The Darkest Powers, #1
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Published Date: July 1, 2008

My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost - and the ghost saw me.

Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House... before its skeletons come back to haunt me.



I read this book a long time ago and I was surprised to see I haven't posted any review with it. Considering this is one of my most favorite series from Kelley.

So, this book is my first book from Kelley Armstrong. Although I never thought this book could be this good, Kelley instantly became one of my favorite authors. I can say that I am a raving fan.

The Summoning is the first book in the Darkest Powers trilogy, it was recommended by some friends of mine. The book description tells about Chloe Saunders who can see ghosts. Great! Very common. But hey! When I opened the book and started reading it.. I just can't stop. It grabs my attention right from the very start. The first few pages sets the atmosphere for the book and is absolutely perfect. The creepy basement, a baffling past, and it all took place in a flashback? OMG! Yes, yes I’m hooked.

"The thing raised its head. A skull stared at me, strips of blackened flesh and dirty encrusted hair hanging from it. Empty eye sockets turned my way. The jaw opened, teeth clacking as it tried to speak, uttering only that horrible, guttural groan."

The readers will definitely find themselves at the edge-of-their-seat as the tension builts through the first few chapters of the story as Chloe starts to question the diagnosis of schizophrenia that the doctors seem so keen to label her with.  I can actually feel the tension because it is obvious that there is something very odd about Lyle House and its patients. And it was actually the feeling of excitement that makes me so excited what could really be happening inside Lyle House.

The best thing about this book is that the readers weren't told immediately what Chloe's powers are and what she can actually do. Instead, the story begins with the readers believing that Chloe really is just imagining things and that she might be schizophrenic after all. The powers of the other teenagers are treated in the same way - like normal human mental illnesses. This leads to a nice surprise twist at the end of the story when the truth is revealed. And I absolutely love it!


0 comments:

Post a Comment