Dark Touch by Aimee L. Salter [eARC]

Ranking: +
Title: Dark Touch
Author: Aimee L. Salter
Published Date: February 23, 2016

Tully isn’t alone in her skin. Whenever she touches someone, they feel everything she feels. All her ugliness. All her darkness. All her pain.

The only thing she wants is to be left alone—and to finally get out of her small Oregon town.

But then she meets Chris. He’s everything she’s not. Light. Trusting. Innocent. And he wants Tully.

Tully knows she should spare him the heartache of being with her. But when he touches her, she’s not sure she’ll have the strength to push him away...

From the author of Every Ugly Word comes a poignant, emotionally raw story about the violence that plays out behind closed doors and the all-consuming passion of first love.
First, I would like to thank Netgalley and Alloy Entertainment for the book in exchange for an honest review. And no words can explain how I love this book.

The Characters. I loved the 2 main characters in this book. Their personality actually clicked for me right away. Tully, a withdrawn and mysterious girl who drown her feelings and emotion to herself is tough and puts on a brave front inspite of how people treat her like crap and someone unlikable and with a disease. The reason why? It is because she has a mysterious power to show people her thoughts if she touches them. Her mom died when she was young and she lives with her alcoholic and abusive father.
Chris, the all sunshine and kind of guy who shows interest in her, and mostly the first to break the barrier she surrounds herself with enters, and gave her the feeling she never thought she will have for a long time. I love his values as well as how he wanted to differ himself with other guys who has been with Tully. I think it was the chivalry in him that hooked me up how I just love the person of interest of the main protagonist.

The book has a very compelling  world building. A mysterious, heart grabbing plot. I found myself completely immersed on every word from this book. This book has a lot of mystery and dark past I can't point out if it is one of those sexually abused kind of books. And I am so eager to unravel the story.
"I used to worry that people would tell Grandma about her son-in-law and granddaughter. But it’s like the entire town understands. As we make our way inside, along the wine-colored carpet and past the pews polished by generations of pious asses, frozen faces turn away."
Sometimes I thought I am right:
"“You’re getting prettier every year, Tulip.” Don’t say that. Dad looks at me as ifhe’s trying to see what she sees. I glance from him to her. She waits, as if she’s given me a gift and I should be grateful."
“I’m sorry, Tully. Last night was—”
“Don’t!” I spat. “Don’t you dare.”
His mouth snapped shut so fast I was pretty sure he bit his tongue. After a few more seconds, the acid in my stomach gurgled into my throat. I stumbled out of the kitchen and down the hall, one hand on the wall to keep myself from tipping over. I left. Didn’t return until sheer hunger drove me back. Dad and I never spoke about it again, at least not when he was sober. But while I was gone he screwed a lock to my door. On the inside.
And boy, I am right in so many ways that I am not. The twist and the facts are overwhelming I was actually developing a hate for her father. Her father is Goddamn Mother Fucker! An Asshole! A Demon! And Fucking pathetic father! *Sigh* Sorry, I guess I am really so pissed of with his father, I might kill him if I where in Chris's shoes. And after realizing what happened to her, what methods she was forced to do because of her incompetent and alcoholic father, I just lost it. I literally wanted to mourn for her. I could actually feel her.

The book stands up to its title. It was really a DARK TOUCH. Every secret and puzzle after will leave you speechless.

2 comments:

  1. I actually loved this book too! Great review!

    ReplyDelete