Truthwitch by Susan Dennard [Book Review]

Ranking:
Title: Truthwitch
Series:  The Witchlands , #1
Author: Susan Dennard
Published: January 5, 2016
In a continent on the edge of war, two witches hold its fate in their hands.

Young witches Safiya and Iseult have a habit of finding trouble. After clashing with a powerful Guildmaster and his ruthless Bloodwitch bodyguard, the friends are forced to flee their home.

Safi must avoid capture at all costs as she's a rare Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lies. Many would kill for her magic, so Safi must keep it hidden - lest she be used in the struggle between empires. And Iseult's true powers are hidden even from herself.

In a chance encounter at Court, Safi meets Prince Merik and makes him a reluctant ally. However, his help may not slow down the Bloodwitch now hot on the girls' heels. All Safi and Iseult want is their freedom, but danger lies ahead. With war coming, treaties breaking and a magical contagion sweeping the land, the friends will have to fight emperors and mercenaries alike. For some will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.

I have been reading this on and off. And then one day I  just decided to get over with it.  I had a really hard time finishing this book. It was slow at the beginning and confusing in a lot of ways I can't explain. I thought it was going to be an amazing read with all the ravings about this book but I guess I just have a very high expectation. I enjoyed it at times, but the hype is on and off. So Maybe that is the reason why I chose to give it a 3 stars.

So here are some factors that I noticed about this book.
The Characters.   The main characters - Safi and Iseult - has very interesting intriguing power and connection. Safi is a truthwitch - a power that can decipher truth and lies. She was such a pain in the ass if you ask me and I find her immature and impulsive. And I just can't seem to understand why she can’t bear the thought of being separated with Iseult. She is so dependent to Iseult. Iseult. I actually like her more than Safi. I find her character stronger and fiercer than Safi.
Prince Merik. Well, this is the first time, REALLY THE FIRST TIME that I actually hate the love interest of the protagonist. Am I the only one who find his attitude as a JERK? Well, whatever. Aeduan (the bloodwitch). I actually LOVE his character. HE IS THE ONLY LIGHT I FOUND IN THIS BOOK THAT IS INTERESTING ENOUGH. He's such a complex character. I'll probably read the next sequel because I am really intrigued by him and not with the 2 main protagonists.

The Romance. Okay, I am really not into an instant attraction. And the instalove between Prince Merik and Safiya is just so common and frustrating. I had my own dose of love at first sight of books. So.. NO THANK YOU.

The world-building is creative and well thought, but isn’t explored or explained clearly enough, and the lack of details makes me confuse and blind at what was actually happening. The concept of “thread-cutting” and “cleaving” were inadequately explained, as well as the virulent prejudice against Iseult’s people. Why do people hate Nomatsi?

To sum it up  - It is 50% enjoyable, 20% annoying and 30% confusing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment